Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2006 11:06:07 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vmstat -i output after solving snd problems.

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 07:20:19PM +0200, Ivan Voras wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:
> > Nothing to worry about.  It means that there are more devices that couldn't be
> > fit into the available space for the name.  A + means there is one more
> > device on this IRQ and there wasn't enough room for its name.  A * means
> > there are 2 or more devices on this IRQ and there wasn't enough room for
> > their names.
>
> I've always wanted to ask this: is there a way to expand the display of
> vmstat -i to include all devices on an interrupt?

I was feeling proactive and took a look at the vmstat code, which is
an amazing piece of work (take my comment however you wish, because it
has multiple implications).

A brief skim shows me that somehow it's related to eintrnames[]
in <sys/interrupt.h>.  How these get strings populated (e.g. "irq##"
vs.  "irq##+"), I have absolutely no idea -- as stated, I cannot
make heads or tails of the code.  (It's architecture-independant
from what the code comments state...)

Regardless, the strings look to be populated somewhere within
kernel-land, not by vmstat.

| Making life hard for others since 1977.               PGP: 4BD6C0CB |