Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 1998 13:13:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        "Roberto C. Ramirez Perez" <bobby@acnet.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Roberto C. Ramirez Perez wrote:
> How can i run x window in my freebsd system i am not an expert user
> how ?
> wath a have to do to run it
> Roberto C. Ramírez Pérez                                Bobby

You have to have Xwindows installed on your computer to start with.
Xwindows is available as a FreeBSD port/package on your cdrom or via
ftp.

First read 'man xdm' and 'man startx' and 'man X'.

Xwindows can be started by these command lines as root:

$ xdm

or

$ startx

I personally use xdm.

You will also need a .xinitrc (for startx) or .xsession (for xdm) file
in your home directory depending on the method you use to start X.  This
file should specify at a bare minimum your choice of window manager. An
xterm is also highly desired at least until you get things figured out.

If you get really stuck you can type CtrlAltF1 to get back to your
console. If you get really, really stuck you can explicitly kill
Xwindows by typing CtrlAltBackspace.

This is only a very brief answer to get you started in the right
direction. I had to read the man pages over and over again (and post to
this list)  before I got it all figured out.

Good luck,
Jason Wells