Date:      Sat, 7 Sep 1996 18:37:49 +1000
From:      Peter Hawkins <peter@palin.cc.monash.edu.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCI PnP question

I'm writing a driver for a pci card, but every time I plug it in (regardless
of whether I load the kernal with the driver) I see that ed1 (my ethernet card)
fails at boottime (can't clear memory c8000). I'm not really a PC person so
the vagaries of it's memory management are not things I follow well. I can't
find any way to adjust the way the bios allocates windows to pci devices
so I have to assume it doesn't overlap isa. I know this particular card requires
16k of memory. Can anyone enlighten me here and tell me how to avoid conflicts
(other than moving the card to another slot).

Also does anyone know what the bios uses as a memory mapping strategy?

Peter