Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 1995 00:28:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        pst@shockwave.com, jmb@kryten.atinc.com, andreas@knobel.gun.de, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which SUP files are available and where ?

> >I thought a couple of people were reporting sig 11 problems on -stable.
> >Is it true that there are NO sig 11 problems that we're aware of?
>
>    There are no known reliability problems with -stable. All of the people
> that I'm aware of that reported (any sort of) problems have since figured
> out what was causing them and have fixed them. There was one bug which Rod
> found that was causing a "CMAP busy" panic, but this isn't a new problem
> and has been with us since last year. It is caused by an attempt to read
> from /dev/kmem in an area that has no currently mapped page. This results
> in a page fault and subsequantly messed up 'CMAP' page table entry. The
> problem will normally only be seen when you have an out of date
> /var/db/kvm_kernel.foo.db file. It only happens at boot time and it's actually
> quite rare.

And should probably be added to the FAQ under an entry:

Q. Why do I get a ``CMAP busy panic during boot just after installing
   a new kernel?

A. The logic that attempts to detect an out of data /var/db/kvm_*.db files
   sometimes fails and using a mismatched file can sometimes lead to panics.

F. rm /var/db/kvm_*.db