Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 20:29:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      rmtodd@servalan.servalan.com (Richard Todd)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, "George W. Dinolt" <gdinolt@pacbell.net>
Subject:   Re: (noperiph:ahc0:0:-1:-1): ... error

In servalan.mailinglist.fbsd-current you write:

>I am trying to run a recent (as of today) and am seeing the following
>error when I try to boot::

>(noperiph:ahc0:0:-1:-1): SCSI bus reset delivered. 0 SCBs aborted.
>panic: Bogus resid sgptr value 0xbd68609

>(I copied this from the console after the boot failure, there may be
>minor mistakes.)

>This started happening when I started compiling kernels built from
>sources cvsuped around Jul 18.

>I am not sure what is causing these messages. The "noperiph" message
>appears to come from xpt_print_path in /usr/src/sys/cam/cam_xpt.c while
>the panic seems to be written by ahc_calc_residual in
>/usr/src/sys/dev/aic7xxx/aic7xxx.c.  From a quick look at the code, the
>problem is not directly in the code pointed to by the messages.

>I have an Adaptec 2940UW. A much older kernel reports it as <Adaptec
>2940 Ultra SCSI adapter>  with  aic7880 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7,
>16/255 SCBs. The Bios on the board is version 2.20.0

>I have 4 drives and a UMAX scanner connected to the bus. More details
>available if needed.

I saw something similar, but not identical, when trying to boot a -current
kernel made last night.  I saw the (noperiph...) message you saw.  After that,
the machine didn't panic, but it didn't work very well, either.  It did, after
a few seconds, detect the SCSI tape drive I had (sa0), but failed on detecting
the SCSI disk and CDROM, repeatedly timing out and resetting the bus.  Alas,
I didn't have the presence of mind to write down the exact messages; I'll try
to do that tonight, assuming the bug is still present in the src I'm cvsupping
now.  This was on an SMP box (Tyan Thunder 100GX), with an aic7895 SCSI
controller, and the following three SCSI devices:
sa0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
sa0: <SONY SDT-7000 0300> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
sa0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15)
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/da0s2a
da0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
da0: <QUANTUM ATLAS IV 9 WLS 0707> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-3 device
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 8, 16bit), Tagged Queueing Enabled
da0: 8761MB (17942584 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 1116C)
cd0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
cd0: <TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6401TA 1009> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
cd0: 20.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 15)
cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present