Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2019 10:46:44 -0500
From:      Ken Moore <ken@ixsystems.com>
To:        <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Lumina and env variables

On Saturday, January 19, 2019 9:33:41 AM EST, Grzegorz Junka wrote:
> Hello,
> Does anyone know how to set an environment variable so that=20
> it's visible when running Lumina applications? Currently I have=20
> QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME set in .profile and .cshrc but these are=20
> not visible when I run qt5ct from the Lumina launch menu. They=20
> only take effect when I run qt5ct from the command line=20
> (Konsole).
>
> This is quite strange because I start Lumina with startx and my=20
> .xinitrc looks like this
>
> exec /usr/local/bin/start-lumina-desktop
>
> I would have hoped that these environment variables should be=20
> inherited by the Lumina process and subsequently by all=20
> applications launched from the menu. Unless something overwrites=20
> them later?
>
> Thanks
> GrzegorzJ

One other additional comment about setting environment variables for=20
Lumina.

Lumina provides a special environment variable configuration file=20
(~/.config/lumina-desktop/envsettings.conf) which is just a=20
<variable>=3D<value> list of environment variables to apply to the desktop=20=

session (one variable per line).

The desktop monitors that file and will automatically re-apply env changes=20=

as needed when you make changes to that file. It cannot change the=20
environment for applications that are already running, but it can change=20
the default environment for applications that you launch later on.

--=20
~~ Ken Moore ~~
ken@ixsystems.com