Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 23:18:44 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        Bob Boone <bboone@whro.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ETHERNET / PCI Problems....

At 03:46 PM 3/25/97 -0500, Bob Boone wrote:
>PROBLEM:
>
>   I've been using an ISA ethernet card w/ thin-net only connector.  My
>local net is moving to ALL UTP, so I bought a new card --  RPTI E2000PCI
>card, but can't change the internal port/irq setings to match the 300/5
>that are looked-for by the kernel scan.  Result -- no network connection
>with this card - BSD doesn't see network.  It is an AUTOMATIC card, and
>I can't find any set-up program to get into it and CHANGE anything.

Do you even know what it is set at?  What about jumpers?

>    SYSTEM VIEW:  OCTEK Rhino-6 motherboard, 100m Pentium, IDE hdrive,
>single floppy, SHA-1500 scsi controller/ NEC CD, PCI video card, FreeBSD
>2.1.5, Apache 1.1.1..... all has worked FINE since August '96.
>
>    Considering move to BSD 2.2, but waiting for dust to settle.  Not
>familiar with PCI "choices" or kernel adaptations on BSD, but WILLING TO
>LEARN.

This should not be a problem if it is a PCI card.  You don't say, but I'll
assume ISA then.  PCI is supposed to work autmagically, which is why it is
probed first.

>HELP.  .  .  .  .  . Help, .... with ideas on kernal changes OR on ideas
>for how to change RHINO  BIOS to support/ direct the ethernet card to
>the correct port/irq for BSD.

With ISA cards this is easy.  Edit the line in your kernel file
(/sys/i386/conf/<kernel_file> and change the values.  I'm using ed1, as you
are not saying what the kernel thinks it is on boot.

device ed1 at isa? port 0x300 net irq  5 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr

You want say 0x280 and IRQ 9, so:

device ed1 at isa? port 0x280 net irq  9 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr

Rebuild and reboot.

You can do the same thing with interactive mode (-c) on boot, which in your
case I hope you can either find out or set the card via jumper and avoid
hit and miss.  Most cards are addressed at 280 or 300 and 5 or 10 for the IRQ

I hate cards with no config disk.

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990