Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 13:07:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
To:        Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.dk, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vendor-specific processor hacks

On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, Jonathan Mini wrote:

>   Your point of all processors being equal because they all cause bloat is not
> the issue here. I am not aruging that Intel is special, I am arguing that
> Intel code is bloating a Cyrix or an Amd system. If Amd code were bloating an
> Intel system, I would be just as annoyed.

I think this is a valid point.  You don't compile the 386 or 486 processor
types into your PPRO kernel because you don't want all that extra code.
It all becomes a question of how fine you make the distinctions.  Is a K6
a souped up Pentium, or is it a K6?  I think you are right in figuring
that we are only going more and more in the direction of having more
classes of CPU.  It makes sense that at some point it would be better to
make a better distinction than 386/486/586/686.

Now, whether it is best to say 586 && AMD, or just call it a K6, I don't
know, but, I think it's worth thinking about.  Just because it is only a
couple extra lines of code NOW, it's probably going to get "worse" as time
goes on.  :)

Later......						<Doug>