Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 17:20:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>, Doug <Doug@gorean.org>, Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>, drosih@rpi.edu, grog@lemis.com, mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Microsoft performance (was: ...)

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Karl Denninger wrote:
>
> A simple start would be to explicitly put a macro or call in each
> syscall to push down the lock.  That way people can move that
> macro farther and farther down in the syscall code path, hopefully
> removing it entirely in some cases.  I think having the call at
> the beginning of each syscall would motivate people into doing that
> sort of work.
>
> "Hey, y'know getppid() is safe, i'll just take the lock out."
> "this function xxx() is safe until this point I can process a lot
> before actually needing this lock..."
> "y'know I just have a structure that's not accessable to any other calls
> that i'm going to fill in, i'll just lift the lock right here"
> "if I just do this something here, I really am re-entrant and safe.."
>
> Providing a simple api for spinlocks and mutexes would be very nice.

Something along the lines of how spl()s work? And mutex allocation like what
we do with malloc types, maybe?

> If some of the FreeBSD gods (core) said something along the lines
> of we'd like to see the process table have XXX method of access
> and locking people will code it, the same way with the many other
> subsystems.
>
> Things like pmap and UFS and INET will be a royal pain to get
> SMP safe, however baby steps towards lifting the lock for
> simpler subsystems will lead the way.  FreeBSD has the
> most intellegent people in the industry working together,
> all that is needed is a starting point.
>
> -Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|bright@wintelcom.net]
> systems administrator and programmer
>     Win Telecom - http://www.wintelcom.net/

 Brian Fundakowski Feldman      _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 green@FreeBSD.org                   _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!        _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
       http://www.FreeBSD.org/              _ |___/___/___/