Date:      Sat, 29 Sep 2012 07:48:30 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Leslie Jensen <leslie@eskk.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Considering purchase off SSD!

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012, Leslie Jensen wrote:

> I'm considering to purchase a SSD.
>
> The one I have in mind for the moment is this one.
>
> Samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC512D 512GB
>
> I'm not going for a top of the line disk but I would like to ask if anyone
> has experience with SSD's and FreeBSD (9.1 is my plan).

SSDs work.  Be sure to align partitions to 4K, and enable TRIM support
on the filesystems.  Use AHCI if available.

> Just to complicate things a little, I'll make a dual boot install with W7. I
> have this set up today on an ordinary SATA disk.

In that case, the same as above, but if Windows was installed without
AHCI enabled in the BIOS, it may not work if AHCI is enabled for
FreeBSD.

Two of those Samsungs in 256G actually cost less than one 512G, and
would make partitioning and multibooting simpler.