Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 11:40:10 -0600
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache mod_ ports

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 10:27:07AM -0500, Vivek Khera wrote:
> The thing with mod_ssl is that it requires extensions to the Apache
> API.  I don't see how you can do that with a stand alone package that
> is installed after Apache is built.  Please explain how you expect
> this to work.

Go look at the NetBSD apache and mod_ssl ports.  apache (even if
you don't plan on using it) is actually patched with the mod_ssl code to
get the EAPI.  Then, if you want mod_ssl, it becomes a simple matter
of building the relevant bits and dropping them into place.

I have here in my tree a www/apache which does just that, along with
a new mod_ssl port, cleanups to mod_* and other things which now
depend on www/apache (as opposed to www/apache13), and the complete
and utter nuking of the following ports:

  apache-ssl		tough.  use mod_ssl like the rest of the world.
  apache13		replaced with 'apache'
  apache13-modssl	replaced with 'apache'
  apache13-fp		until someone who has the inclination to write
			a mod_frontpage port, possibly further modifying
			the base apache if necessary.
  apache13+ipv6		working on getting this integrated into the
			new 'apache' port.

So, the technical work is pretty much done.. maybe another couple of
weeks to polish it all off.  Sadly, the bikeshed that has already
started, many moons ago, with the complete brain-deadness of our
apache collection, means that it's unlikely to ever go into the
main tree.

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.			       ade@FreeBSD.org