Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 2002 22:33:41 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AXPpci33 <-> Sparc sun4c  serial cable

Thomas Pornin <pornin@bolet.org> wrote:

> I shall soon acquire an old IPC Sun SparcStation. Those stations can
> use a serial console, and are actually supposed to switch to a serial
> console in the absence of any keyboard (there might be a switch on the
> board but that's not a problem). If I remember correctly, the DB25
> connector is female on those stations, and it is possible that the pin
> layout is non-standard.

Actually, the IPC uses 8-pin Mini-DIN connectors for its serial ports.
http://www.sunhelp.org/faq/sunref2.html

> ** What software should I use on the Alpha box ? I know there exists
> some program called "minicom", which has a FreeBSD port, that might
> be adequate. But is this the standard solution ?

Minicom is pretty silly because it combines terminal emulation and
communication functions in the style of corresponding PC programs.
(It's roughly a clone of Telix for MS-DOS.)  On a Unix box you
already have a terminal, no need to insert an emulation layer.  A
simple communication program such as cu(1) or tip(1), or kermit(1)
from the ports, will do.

> I suspect that there are non-standard serial ports on some Alpha
> machines

Not that I'm aware of.

> for the following reason: I once had a Multia, which is basically
> a NoName board in a small box. That Multia could use a vt220 as
> console when no keyboard was connected. A simple null-modem cable
> worked (those cables sold as "doom-cable", with a DB9 and a DB25
> at each end).

Yup, that sounds right.

> I tried the same setting on my current Alpha machine, and it did
> not work.

Which doesn't pin-point the error.