Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 1997 17:56:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.6 Install question (resend)

On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, David Lewis wrote:
% Turns out that the kernel install doesn't like /sbin to not be loading on
% the / partition.  I was attempting to install /sbin on its own partition.
%
% Once I backed out of this and installed /sbin under /, the problem was
% resolved (after much irritation and headache).

Doug White responded:
> So you created a mountpoint /sbin?
>
> How odd... I'll keep that for future reference.

OTTMCO.  /sbin is, literally, "standalone bin;" it is needed to bring
the system up.  Everything needed to bring the system up must be in the
root filesystem.