Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 21:08:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   pci device driver writing newbie

I'm currently trying to write a driver for the hardware monitoring
function of the Via 686a/b chipset, but I have a problem. I'm trying to
get my module (which right now does mostly nothing except probing and
attaching) to detect the ACPI function of this chip, but right now pciconf
-l shows it as "chip0". I found the devid in
/usr/src/sys/pci/pcisupport.c, (0x30571106) and commented that case out,
recompiled my kernel, and rebooted, but no luck, it still detects as
chip0. What can I do to keep this from happening. This is the only way I
can accurately probe and attach this device and find it's base i/o
address. Once I have this chip probing and attaching, and have the base io
address, I can do the rest of the hardware monitoring functions of this
driver on my own. (as a note, to avoid doing floating point calculations
in the kernel, and to avoid doing some really nasty hacks that I found in
the linux version of this driver, I'll be making the driver return the raw
values from the registers, and I'll be writing a library that takes care
of making the values that come from the registers useful.)

Thanks ahead of time :-)

Ken