Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 10:18:31 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quake's out, where's that Linux ELF emulation?

On Tue, 27 Feb 1996, Amancio Hasty Jr. wrote:

>  > > Gosh,
>  > >
>  > > Can we send out 2000 mail messages to iD??
>  >
>  > Ack, no, please don't!  Look, seriously, I've talked to the
>  > _developers_ of this friggin' software and they've made it more than
>  > abundantly plain to me, on multiple occasions, that they are NEVER,
>  > EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES going to do a port to FreeBSD and the
>  > matter is not even open to discussion.  The only reason we see a "free
>  > UNIX" port of IDs stuff at all is because they happen to be unabashed
>  > Linux fanatics there, and they have zero, zip nada interest in a
>  > FreeBSD port.
>  >
>  > If you want Dave Taylor to publically state same in this mailing list
>
> Fine , arrange it . I like to go "down" fighting not standing down.
> If they don't make port for FreeBSD can you remove the stuff from
> the ftp.cdrom.com site. This is my thinking they are so in love with
> linux yet they have not been able to provide an adequate linux ftp
> site. It seems to me that they have dollars and can buy the expertise
> to provide adequate ftp services be that linux or some other platform.
>
> As you stated they are linux fanatics let the linux community provide
> free bandwith and computing resources. For the html link to their
> directory in the Web Server a *black* background with a red ribbon in
> protest of not providing a FreeBSD port. This may or may not work
> but for sure the current strategy is not working .
>
> Don't mind me my old Puerto Rican blood well is boiling
> and you ought to hear the keyboard and I am amazed I that have
> not pop a key!

I know I just caused a great flaming myself but everybody reading this
mail please consider these things a bit more.

I don't think it any good to start a fight over such nonsens. You can't
always deal with the fanatics fanatically. Do we really need a war? I
don't think so - let them be where they are. There would be much too many
people who would not understand why they got removed from the ftp site.

The web link idea is great - and it can be exploited without a war. Just
make a web page called something like "Protests to ID" or something like
that where anyone wanting can add oneself there. Why not just make a
anti-ID campain? After all, they live on their games, don't they? So make
just a big enough confusion about it all until they port it to FreeBSD.

Mmuch easier and doesn't involve any mail-bombings in any direction or
some kind of silly kamikadze attacks.

*Please don't answer to this mail*.

	Sander