Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:56:08 +0200
From:      Mathieu Arnold <mat@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Lars Thegler <lars@thegler.dk>, freebsd-perl@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PERL_LEVEL conditional dependencies

--==========C5F11A5EAA081864B6AB==========

+-le 11/08/2004 11:28 +0200, Lars Thegler a dit :
| Hi all,
|
| I'm a bit worried about the continuing tendency to put *_DEPENDS into
| PERL_LEVEL conditionals, the latest example of which is PR 70290.
|
| IMHO this is wrong for all modules on CPAN, which are also in the perl
| distribution, because if the module is updated on CPAN to something newer
| than it is in the distribution, it will not get installed (and thereby
| updated) in such a conditional dependency.

Too true, it's a PITA to update those modules, look for each depending ports,
etc...

| Maybe this situation would be better, if there was a passage in the
| Porter's Handbook explaining this - or am I fighting windmills here?

eik asked me if I could write up a passage for the Porter's Handbook to
explain how to depend on a Perl module. Maybe it could be a collective work
;-)

I think it's a PITA, but I also think we have to follow this damn path, the
thing is that it'll add more work on the porter's hands, but we'll have a
better freebsd at the end :-)

--
Mathieu Arnold
--==========C5F11A5EAA081864B6AB==========