Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 15:56:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more amd hangs: problem really in syslog?

:*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit          /dev/console
:*.notice;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err /var/log/messages
:mail.info                                       /var/log/maillog
:lpr.info                                        /var/log/lpd-errs
:cron.*                                          /var/cron/log
:*.err                                           root
:*.notice;news.err                               root
:*.alert                                         root
:*.emerg                                         *
:
:local7.*                                        /var/log/amd.log
:
:	Basically, it's what comes with the system plus that line for
:local7. I am using a serial console setup for this box, but as far as I
:could see from the logs amd did generate there were no events at *.err
:priority, or to the kern facility, so nothing should have been printed to
:the serial console. Also, just in case it matters I start syslogd with
:-svv flags in rc.conf.
:
:
:>  Try messing around
:>     with /etc/syslog.conf and see if just plain file logging prevents the
:>     lockup -- you could even try turning off all logging (but leaving syslog
:>     running, i.e. turning it into a sink-null) to see if that has an effect.
:
:	I have to admit that you lost me here. Normal syslog stuff is
:working just fine (where "normal" is freebsd system stuff), it's amd that
:locks up. It's been kind of a hectic day here, in addition to this problem
:so I might just be a little dense. Can you explain in more detail what
:you'd like me to try?
:
:Thanks,
:
:Doug

    Comment the whole thing out, kill -HUP the syslogd (or kill and restart
    it), and see if amd still locks up.  If it does not, add the file lines
    (/var/*) back in, restart, and see if amd locks up.  If it does not,
    add the /dev/console line back in, restart, and see if amd locks up.
    If it does not, add the "root" and "*" entries back in and see if amd
    locks up.  And so forth.

    We may find that there is something inherently broken with syslogd
    that is causing the lockup even with all entries commented out, or
    we may well find that it is a certain line, such as the /dev/console,
    root, or "*" line for emergency messages that is causing amd to lockup.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>