Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 15:32:00 +1000 (EST)
From:      David Nugent <davidn@blaze.net.au>
To:        Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libutil realhostname.c

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:

>   I have a grudge against the shortage of UT_HOSTSIZE.

I have a grudge against the only legitmate uses of it; the utmp/wtmp
formats. I had a go at fixing it once, but there did not seem a great deal
of interest other than minor feedback. It's a difficult matter since
fiddling with this messes with fringe portability and defacto BSD
practices and standards (not that there really are any over a wider range
of UNIXen, which is the real problem).

Raw space savings in wtmp by use of a variable length, even text format is
surprisingly large, and encapsulating it behind a standard API hides it
enough that we should not need to worry about the physical storage
mechanism, be it a berkeley db, flat text file, fix or variable length
flat record, ldap directory or an sql database. nsswitch.conf might
provide a gateway there (is anyone still working on nsswitch for FreeBSD
these days?)

Considering this is one of the few issues that gets in the way of
expanding namespace on UNIX systems (capability of handling a full
kerberos name.user@realm or ldap dn cn=davidn,dc=freebsd,dc=org are good
examples), I think finally resolving this means that the limitations of
UT_*SIZE are well on the way to just going away. The use of these macros
elsewhere is - or at least used to be - a conveniently reliable limit. The
kernel does impost a limit, but changing that would not be too difficult.