Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 1996 15:51:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Glen Foster <gfoster@gfoster.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   NCR 53C8xx board update

Folks,

I didn't get much of a response to my request for information on SCSI
host adaptors based on the NCR 53C8xx chips, I'm sure there are many
options other than the ones I listed below.  I did do a small amount
of web surfing and learned a little bit but was not successful in
finding any "mother lode" of information.  Thanks a bunch to those who
responded.

I did learn that the chips are manufactured by Symbios Logic (SL)
under contract to NCR.  The SL WWW pages have a fair amount of
high-quality information, specifications not just marketing info.  AMD
also has a line of chips that it manufactures that they claim are
compatible.  The SL chip varieties are as follows:

53c810 - FAST SCSI-2, no BIOS
53c815 - FAST SCSI-2, BIOS
53c820 - FAST WIDE SCSI-2, no BIOS
53c825 - FAST WIDE SCSI-2, BIOS
53C860 - Fast-20 version of 810
53C875 - Fast-20 version of 815

SL claims that the 860 and 875 are backwards compatible to the 810 and
815.  This may or may not translate to being usable with FreeBSD,
caveat emptor.

Here are the host adaptors I was able to find.  I suspect there are
many more.  If anybody knows of additional adaptors or can fill in the
blanks below, I'd appreciate hearing about it by e-mail.

Manuf.,model,chip,termination,BIOS,Comment
Acculogic,unknown,unknown,unknown,unknown,unknown,(800)854-7600
Asus,SC-200,53C810,active,no,URL: http://www.asus.com.tw/FTP/ASUS/Info/Spec/pci-sc200.txt
DTC,DTC3130B,53C815,active,yes,URL: http://www.datatechnology.com/
Gigabyte,GA-410,unknown,passive(?),no,NCR 810 PCI SCSI by another name
Nexstor/TMC,unknown,unknown,unknown,unknown,unknown,(408)262-1056
SYMBIOS LOGIC,various,various,passive,both,URL: http://www.symbios.com/products/datashts/matrix.htm
Tekram,DC-390,Am53C974A,unknown,yes,URL: http://www.tekram.com/dc390.html
Tyan,S1365 Yorktown,53c825,unknown,yes,URL: http://www.best.com/~jchen/ts1365.htm

Glen Foster <gfoster@gfoster.com>