Date:      Mon, 03 Sep 2007 22:21:20 +0100
From:      Tom Judge <tom@tomjudge.com>
To:        Andrew Thompson <thompsa@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: If_bridge and MST

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 02:11:59PM +0100, Tom Judge wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wondering if if_bridge had been taught how to speak multiple
>> instance spanning tree?
>
> Not yet. I havnt started it yet and I do not know of anyone else working
> on it.
>

> Andrew

While playing with if_bridge today and a pair of Dell PowerConnect
5324's (with the recent upgrade to MSTP) I noticed that it did not seem
to be possible to enable STP on if_vlan bridge members.  This would seem
to be correct as transmitting STP frames tagged with VLAN_ID would seem
to break the spec and fall into the realm of cisco PVST.  However should
if_bridge be taught that the vlandev should be used for collection and
transmission spanning tree in this scenario or should if_vlan be taught
to copy untagged [R]STP frames onto the vlan interface?

Tom