Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 18:17:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Subject:   Re: 64 bit times revisited..

On 27-Oct-01 Matthew Dillon wrote:

>:
>:Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> writes:
>:>     Is anyone game for this project?
>:
>:I'd volunteer, but I have too many of my own patches to worry about
>:right now.  How about mid-November, after BSDCon Europe?
>:
>:DES
>:--
>:Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org
>
>     With the vnode and sync scaleability stuff *almost* out of the way I've
>     started working on the Giant lock unwinding stuff, so I don't have time
>     this moment either, but I would certainly have time available
>     mid-november to help out!
>
>     The project could be done and stabilized in a week with three or more
>     people helping out.  There is good functional separation:
>

>     * type changes (stat, timespec, timeval, timex, time_t)
>     * syscall number rolls & compatibility code (sorry BSDI, it's more then
> 10)
>     * kernel side audit to handle new time_t & structures
>     * libc audit - all time related functions
>     * userland audit to handle new time_t & structures
>

>     I think everyone has agreed on time_t going to 64 bits, and of course
>     it must be seconds.  We have to decide in regards to timeval, stat, and
>     timespec.  It looks like we may not have to mess with timex, which is
>     good.

You did read the e-mail from Garrett where either SUS or POSIX one requires
time_t to fit in a long?  I.e. sizeof(time_t) <= sizeof(long).  This means
that if you bump time_t to 64 on i386, you have to bump long to 64, which is
decidely something many people don't want to do.  I would suggest if you insist
on working on this, you first convert time_t to a long so that platforms with
64-bit longs will have a 64-bit time_t, and then once you've cleaned up the
messes that makes, you will still have time to decide if you want ppc and i386
to go form ILP32 to IP32L64 (or however you specify that) which will probably
involve backwards compatible syscalls, etc.  One step a time.  You don't have
to do it all at once, and after doing the first step, you may find that that is
enough.