Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 02:56:29 +0000
From:      Paulo Menezes <pm@dee.uc.pt>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, Paulo Menezes <paulo@isr.uc.pt>, Paulo Menezes <paulo@thor.dee.uc.pt>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade of Mesa

------------59A533CE5CB02

Satoshi Asami wrote:

>  * I am once again porting the new version of Mesa to FreeBSD.
>  * Now I have a question, in the previous version I have used  for
version
>  * numbers of  the shared libraries the pre-previous + 1 rule.
>
> There is a reason behind the library versions increasing, and why they
> can never decrease between releases.  Please see the handbook (28.3 or
> something).
>
>  * But I think it makes little sense in using something in FreeBSD
like
>  * ....so.14.0 where the other systems use .so.2.1 for the same
version.

> It's not like we can share libraries and binaries with other systems
> anyway. :)  Just because other systems are being sloppy with shared
> library numbering doesn't mean we should do the same.

Sure, but if you try to install Mesa just by downloading it and typing
"make freebsd" you'll get 2.1 numbers in the libraries.
Many people would get confused if it conflicts with a previous "ported"
installation. And why should't we follow the numbers that developers
assign?

>  * What do you recomend, using the release number for these or ignore
it and
>  * add a symlink like "ln -s ***.so.2.1 ***.so.14.0"?
>
> That won't do any good. :(
>
> Satoshi
At least it would work for both cases, and in a next version we would
remove them with the install script :)

Paulo

------------59A533CE5CB02

<HTML><BODY>

<DT>Satoshi Asami wrote:<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt;&nbsp; * I am once again porting the new version of Mesa to FreeBSD.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp; * Now I have a question, in the previous version I have used&nbsp;
for&nbsp; version<BR>
&gt;&nbsp; * numbers of&nbsp; the shared libraries the pre-previous + 1
rule.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; There is a reason behind the library versions increasing, and why
they<BR>
&gt; can never decrease between releases.&nbsp; Please see the handbook
(28.3 or<BR>
&gt; something).<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt;&nbsp; * But I think it makes little sense in using something in FreeBSD
like<BR>
&gt;&nbsp; * ....so.14.0 where the other systems use .so.2.1 for the same
version.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; It's not like we can share libraries and binaries with other systems<BR>
&gt; anyway. :)&nbsp; Just because other systems are being sloppy with
shared<BR>
&gt; library numbering doesn't mean we should do the same.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Sure, but if you try to install Mesa just by downloading it and typing</DT>

<DT>&quot;make freebsd&quot; you'll get 2.1 numbers in the libraries.</DT>

<DT>Many people would get confused if it conflicts with a previous &quot;ported&quot;
installation. And why should't we follow the numbers that developers assign?</DT>

<DT><BR>
&gt;&nbsp; * What do you recomend, using the release number for these or
ignore it and<BR>
&gt;&nbsp; * add a symlink like &quot;ln -s ***.so.2.1 ***.so.14.0&quot;?<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; That won't do any good. :(<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>&gt; Satoshi<BR>
At least it would work for both cases, and in a next version we would remove
them with the install script :)</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Paulo</DT>

<DT><BR>