Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 1996 23:37:15 +0000 ()
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@parody.tecc.co.uk>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
Cc:        Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@z-code.ncd.com>, kline@tera.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: arrrgh, this was working Sunday...

On Wed, 3 Jan 1996, Gary Kline wrote:

> 		This was my first thought.   I *had* the following
> 		in /etc/resolv.conf:
>
> #
> #  resolv.conf :: created on 18dec95
> #
> domain thought.org
> #
> nameserver 158.152.1.193
> nameserver 158.152.1.65

Two thoughts:-

1. The 'domain' entry should contain your local domain name. This is
   thought.org, but you're posting from tera.com. If you're posting from
   a different machine, it doesn't matter, if not you should change it.

2. The nameservers you're using are actually in England (try doing
   'traceroute 158.152.1.193' and 'nslookup 158.152.1.193' if you don't
   believe me). As you seem to be in Washington State, I'm not surprised
   you're getting poor throughput to them 8-)

I'd recommend you ask whoever you're connecting to what nameserver they
recommend using. With any luck, they should say "use our nameserver, it's
IP address is x.x.x.x". If they don't understand what you're talking
about, find someone who does!

Also, to get a better background on what's going on, do 'man 5 resolver'
(unfortunately, this gets off to a rather confusing start by assuming that
"a normally configured system" runs a nameserver).

Good luck
James

Segmentation fault (core dumped): cannot find file '.signature'