Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:15:24 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Pieter de Goeje <pieter@degoeje.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Chris Jones <cdjones-freebsd-hackers@novusordo.net>
Subject:   Re: Jail-Aware Scheduling

On Sun, 2006-Jun-11 14:50:30 +0200, Pieter de Goeje wrote:
>I suppose by limiting the jail CPU usage you mean that jails contending over
>CPU each get their assigned share. But when the system is idle one jail can
>get all the CPU it wants.

IBM MVS had an interesting alternative approach, which I believe was
part of the scheduler: You could place an upper limit on the CPU
allocated to a process.  From a user perspective, an application would
respond in (say) 2 seconds whether the system was completely idle or
at normal load.  This stopped users complaining that the system was
slow as the system got loaded.  In the case of jailed systems, it
could also prevent (or minimize) traffic analysis of the system by a
jailed process.

--
Peter Jeremy