Date:      Mon,  4 Oct 2004 15:36:04 -0400
From:      Kenneth Culver <culverk@sweetdreamsracing.biz>
To:        Josh Hansen <lists@josh.aros.net>
Cc:        regi@inf.ufrgs.br
Subject:   Re: C compiler

Quoting Josh Hansen <lists@josh.aros.net>:

> Bill Moran wrote:
>
>> regi@inf.ufrgs.br wrote:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I=B4ve installed FreeBSD 5.2.1 in my PC machine. I compiled my own
>>> programs and started to running them. For my surprise, I checked that
>>> FreeBSD programs spent almost 50% more time than the same program compil=
ed
>>> to linux. I checked several compile options, but it did not have=20
>>> good results.
>>>

>> 5.2.1 is not a strong performer.  It's ALPHA code.
>>
>> If you want to do performance testing, either use 4.10, or work with the
>> 5.3 BETAs.  5.2.1 isn't supposed to be fast yet.
>>

> I really don't think the problem is that simple.  How about either
> giving him a real answer or none at all?

But the problem IS that simple. 5.2.1 wasn't meant to be fast, however in 5.=
3,
developers have worked hard to make several performance improvements, and it
shows. I'd say his answer hits the nail right on the head.

Don't use a version that is known to be slow and for developers only if=20
you want
speed and stability.

Ken