Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 2002 16:35:31 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
To:        "Sameer R. Manek" <manek@ecst.csuchico.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, re@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: restoring definition of -stable

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 02:36:00PM -0800, "Sameer R. Manek"
<manek@ecst.csuchico.edu> wrote:

> cc'd to release engineering team
>
> I think part of the problem is that freebsd has lost someone who previously
> used to make sure that patches MFC were actually stable. JKH used to play an
> active role in that. I remember once, someone had MFC some code that
> introduced a stability bug, Jordan told the list that whoever MFCd' the code
> had till the end of the day to issue a fix, or roll back the patch. We all
> agree that -current is never a good idea for production systems.

Actually, it weren't so beautiful, if I remember. Every so often in
the release cycle were pre-release commitfest by jkh, because almost
all the patches did through his hands. I'm not so sure he did
commit/test cycle on each patch, this is unrealistic considering it
as one-man job. Not that I want to diminish jkh long-time
contributions to FreeBSD Project, just making sure you all don't get
so excited about this model.
--

Vallo Kallaste
kalts@estpak.ee