Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2000 10:55:39 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: amr still seems to have issues.

* Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG> [000421 10:07] wrote:

> > > This is extra-bad.  Without more feedback from the controller (no
> > > documentation from AMI yet, sorry. 8() I can only wonder whether you're
> > > getting a SCSI bus error of some sort that's causing the kernel to time
> > > these commands out (because the controller is taking too long to respond).
> > >
> > > You could try increasing the timeout allowance in amr_periodic(), or just
> > > disable the poll entirely.  This won't help if the controller is really
> > > dropping commands, though.

> > > At this point, I have no other ideas, sorry.
> >
> > Here's something I hope it helps:
>
> Hmm.  Looks like I'm not retiring the wedged command correctly.  This is
> a symptom, rather than the real problem, though.  See if disabling the
> command timeout stuff makes the system happy - either these commands are
> just taking a _long_ time to complete, or you have another problem.

Yes, I've been thinking I may need some firmware upgrade from AMI?

I'll look into it.

> I _still_ think you have disk, cable or enclosure issues, but now that
> you've precipitated this case I can go look at what I'm doing wrong here.
> Thanks!

Yes this is also a possiblity, the really annoying this is that I can
totally kill the controller and nothing happens, but if i leave it
alone for any amount of time it seems to blow up on it's own.

Maybe I need to get on the phone with thier support people and see if
they have any common trouble shooting tips...

-Alfred