Date:      Sun, 19 Jul 2015 10:13:46 -0700
From:      Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>
To:        "O'Connor, Daniel" <darius@dons.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, Leonardo Fogel <leonardofogel@yahoo.com.br>
Subject:   Re: How to Xbuild to BBB?

> On Jul 18, 2015, at 5:26 PM, O'Connor, Daniel <darius@dons.net.au> =
wrote:
>=20
> Is there a way to update a running BBB system?

Native builds work pretty well, though it takes a bit longer.

In particular, if you have more than one BBB, you should be able to =
NFS-mount and build on one, then install on the others.

If you only want to update the kernel, you should be able to cross-build =
and then use installkernel on the build host to put all the kernel bits =
into a directory, then just copy that directory (with all modules, =
etc.).

I don=E2=80=99t know a good way to cross-build and update world, though.

There=E2=80=99s another way to look at this problem, though:  Can you =
copy $YourCustomStuff from your old image onto a new image instead of =
copying $NewFreeBSDBits onto your old image?

This is essentially the approach I=E2=80=99ve been trying to push =
through with Crochet.  If I could figure out how to install packages =
into the image on the build host, I would be most of the way there.

Cheers,

Tim