Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 01:47:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Bill Maniatty <maniattb@cs.rpi.edu>, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>, FreeBSD-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, maniatty@cs.albany.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Learning the FreeBSD Kernel

On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Mike Smith wrote:

> > I can't agree with Mike Smith that reading the code is adequate.  It
> > certainly doesn't apply to newcomers, but it doesn't even apply to
> > seasoned hackers like Mike: the BSD style doesn't provide for adequate
> > comments, and so what you see from the code is mainly tactics, not
> > strategy.
>
> You miss my point; you don't want to be writing a driver until you know
> what you're doing.  Documentation on an OS' driver interface won't teach
> you that; it's something that's really only ever gleaned from experience.

The problem is, you can't even find what the interfaces are.  Reading the
code isn't very useful if you can't even find the right place to start
from.  At least the interface points could be listed, so that someone
would know where to begin.

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.