Date:      Fri, 04 Dec 2009 12:49:10 -0600
From:      eculp <eculp@encontacto.net>
To:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   The new cups ports seem to not recognize usb printers on  FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE

At the end of this email I'm referencing a previous email that I sent =20
about this before checking if the problem was the new BSD stack and it =20
appears that it is.  I just checked with my FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT laptop =20
and it finds the USB printer perfectly and prints as expected. It =20
would seem that I'm going to have to upgrade all my 7.2-STABLE servers =20
to either 8.0 or 9.0 that all have usb printers that are being shared =20
by others through cups. I assume that either of the two would be =20
equally problematic.  I hadn't wanted to upgrade just yet but now I =20
see little choice.  I've almost always run current on them and upgrade =20
less than on my laptop and have never had any major problem since 4.0 =20
or maybe before.  That makes my upgrading seamless although a bit risky.

I wonder, if anyone who has upgraded, could give me a suggestion as to =20
which method to use cvsup or burn a cd/dvd and I will need to =20
recompile all ports and the first thing that pops into my mind is the =20
example in the portmaster manual page.

One other question, "Shouldn't this have a notation in UPGRADING and =20
maybe a work around?"

Thanks for any suggestions,

ed

Reference: Re: The new cups ports seem to not recognize or I don't =20
know how to configure usb printers.