Date:      Wed, 02 Apr 1997 21:51:58 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>, Developer <dev@fgate.flevel.co.uk>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP Desperate for help!

> >I think it may be frugal to make this the default for both client
> >*and* server.  A lot of server implementations wait for the client
> >to start.  Any comments ?
>
> It shouldnt make a difference, if implemented properly. There is
> no master-slave relationship in ppp...the ends are peers. Upon
> starting the interface it should send "n" configs, and then stop
> if no reply is received. When a config is received it starts again. The
> state machine allows for this nicely. One problem is when the electrical
> interface (UP) is not implemented (ie, receipt of DSR) properly. You should
> not be able to get into both ends being dormant if its done properly.
>
> Dennis

But the problem is (and I experienced this myself with my ISP) that
ppp in "call-up" mode won't start LCP.  My ISP will not start either,
so I make the call and we both sit there looking at eachother, grinning
in a way that only ppp connections can.

With "set openmode active", LCP is initiated irrespective.
--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.demon.co.uk/>;