Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:05:30 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzelsw@westbend.net>
To:        "Brandon Fosdick" <brandon.h.fosdick@lmco.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftp/fetch "command not understood" on stable and current

From: "Brandon Fosdick" <brandon.h.fosdick@lmco.com>
> On both stable and current I'm having problems getting ftp or fetch to
> connect to ftp servers (fetch can't connect to anything). I'm behind a
> firewall but the ftp ports are open and I'm sitting next to an HPUX box
> that doesn't have the same problem.
>
> All of the output below came from a 5.1-R box:
> 13:16 bfoz@~>uname -a
> FreeBSD mse.fbm.lmms.lmco.com 5.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE #0: Thu
> Jun  5 02:55:42 GMT 2003
> root@wv1u.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>
> Here's what happens when I ftp to ftp.freebsd.org and try to do 'ls' (or
> anything other command for that matter)...
> ---
> Trying 2001:4f8:0:2::e...
> ftp: connect to address 2001:4f8:0:2::e: No route to host
> Trying 204.152.184.73...
> Connected to ftp.freebsd.org.
> 220 freebsd.isc.org FTP server ready.
> Name (ftp.freebsd.org:bfoz): anonymous
> 331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
> Password:
> 230-
> 230-You have reached freebsd.isc.org/ftp.freebsd.org.
> 230-
> 230-<insert some funky ASCII art here>
> 230-
> 230-This server is operated by Internet Software Consortium (ISC),
> 230-on behalf of the FreeBSD Project, and is serving the full
> 230-FreeBSD FTP archive via IPv4 and IPv6.
> 230-
> 230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
> Remote system type is UNIX.
> Using binary mode to transfer files.
> ftp> ls
> 500 command not understood
> 227 Entering Passive Mode (204,152,184,73,184,121)
> ---

Your ftp client went into passive mode.  The reason it went to passive mode
is because the /etc/login.conf file is setting an environment variable
((FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES) to turn on passive mode.  To disable it, run ftp or
fetch under sh as follows:

FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=NO ftp ...
FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=NO fetch ...

or change FTP_PASSIVE_MODE  to NO in the "default" section of
/etc/login.conf, and then use cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf to rebuild the
login.conf.db.

Scot