Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 15:31:18 -1000
From:      "Randal S. Masutani" <randal@comtest.com>
To:        Marc Nicholas <marc@hippocampus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIOS bootstrap?

On 22 May 98 at 20:16, Marc Nicholas wrote:

> This is a tiny bit off-topic for the list, but I thought I'd throw it out
> there...
>
> My embedded system supports BIOS extension and includes it's own local
> Flash memory to do so. Basically what I'd like to do is build some sort of
> (EE)ROM bootstrap to load my custom FreeBSD operating system. HOWEVER...
>
> All input/output must be done via COM1. I've never done much low level PC
> programming...has anyone attempted something like this? In an ideal world,
> I'd also be looking to front-end the BIOS setup screen over COM1.
>
> And, no, I can't just get a BIOS kit and re-write the BIOS :-p
>

> -marc
The input/output through COM1 must be done with BIOS support.  If you do not
have BIOS support for this then I am not sure what else you can do.

I have an embedded controller which has bios support for this.  If the BIOS
doesn't detect a video card installed it will assume that there is a terminal on
COM1,9600,8,n,1.  Also you need to boot the kernel with the -h option, which
redirects console output to the serial port during booting.  Then set up
/etc/ttys with getty enabled on the COM1 ttyd1 device, so you can login
afterwards.  This works from me and it really neat.

I am currently doing this on a PC/104 board from Mesa Electronics
www.mesanet.com, Model 4c27 386SX-40MHz, 8MB RAM, 8MB Flash, Ethernet, and the
usual PC AT ports.  Its a great little board.
What kind of board are you using?

Randal Masutani