Date:      Wed, 27 May 2015 20:31:12 -0400
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@hardenedbsd.org>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@freebsd.org>,  Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ASLR work into -HEAD ?

On 27 May 2015 at 20:00, Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@hardenedbsd.org> wrote:

> At the FreeBSD Developer Summit at EuroBSDCon 2014, Ed Maste said on behalf of
> the FreeBSD Foundation that he (and by extension, the Foundation) would block
> the ASLR patch from being merged into HEAD if we didn't provide a mechanism
> for disabling ASLR as a non-root user on a per-binary basis.

I said no such thing.

I did have reservations about various aspects of the ASLR work and
also passed on concerns of others. I certainly did not say that I (or
the Foundation) would block the work unless certain conditions were
met. The Foundation doesn't have authority to block a change, anyway.

I did say that we'd need the ability to disable ASLR on a per-process
basis, with my specific interest being use by the debugger.