Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 21:00:26 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        "Danny J. Zerkel" <dzerkel@columbus.rr.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Major bumping of libFOO

In message <01021422425001.00537@zoomer> "Danny J. Zerkel" writes:
: Is this going to cause any trouble down the road when the vendor bumps
: this?  Do we need numeric compatibility?  I'm just wondering, since the
: vendor's Makefile specifically says:
:
: VERSION = 2.10.0
: INTERFACE = 3

Vendor's versions and interfaces don't matter.  At least not for this
stuff.  We control the major number.  We *HAVE* to change it.  When
their interface 4 comes along, we'll have major 5 or 6 or 10.  It just
doesn't matter.

We wrote this Makefile, iirc.  We can do whatever we want in it.

: Do we end up with a conflict between the vendor's idea of an interface
: and our needs to interface with our own libraries?  Is there any possibility
: that some third party software with a dependancy on libstdc++ (or any other
: vendor library we now have to bumb) would be confused?  Perhaps it would
: specifically select libstdc++.so.3?  Which would now not match the vendor.

No.  No.  No.  It won't matter at all.  As far as I know, it is very
hard to link to a specific version, and most software I've brushed up
against doesn't bother.

: For our internal libraries, it's our business, but for external vendors,
: we may still need to provide some degree of numeric compatibility (especially
: with gnu stuff).

That doesn't matter at all.  Our major numbers are our own business.
We have to change this.

: Just trying to keep the ports dependancies from getting too crazy...

These aren't ports, but in the base system.  I don't see how it would
matter at all.

Sorry to be so contrary, but I just don't see how it could possibly matter.

Warner