Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 12:15:05 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        Pat Lynch <lynch@rush.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is there no info on the QPOPPER hack?

At 01:17 PM 7/22/98 -0400, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:

>This is clearly the cause of your problem.  Your attempts to solve your
>administrative problem with a technical solution will only give you a
>false sense of security.
>
>Most people don't let the village idiot watch their horse for them.

The person who was left in charge was not the "village idiot" by
any means. The server is run and maintained by a group for its own benefit,
and each of us has a different area of specialization. UNIX experts are
not exactly crawling out of the woodwork, alas.

>I wish you'd stop trying to convince yourself that some miracle of modern
>technology would have saved you from your break-in

No "miracles" here. Just a distribution system for fixes which parallels
the one via which the buggy software was installed in the first place.
It's easy to do a network install of FreeBSD; it ought to be easy to get
automatic fixes for security holes.

--Brett Glass