Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 00:54:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        dan@dpcsys.com (Dan Busarow)
Cc:        mrcpu@internetcds.com, adamn@csl.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: routed/gated confusion

Dan Busarow wrote,

[snip]

> You could very well be right.  I just setup my first 3.1 system a
> couple of days ago and haven't  fully explored the changes.  I just
> remembered finding rc.conf in /etc/defaults, instead of /etc.  Your
> comments make sense, and I think I'll follow your suggestion.  But
> note that you do need to rm /etc/defaults/rc.conf to have /etc/rc.conf
> read.

Whoa! Don't do that. Towards the top of /etc/default/rc.conf we have,

  rc_conf_files="/etc/rc.conf /etc/rc.conf.local"

Then way down at the end,

  for i in ${rc_conf_files}; do
          if [ -f $i ]; then
                  . $i
          fi
  done

That is, /etc/default/rc.conf loads in the _customizations_ in
/etc/rc.conf over its own defaults.

You should never have to touch /etc/defaults/rc.conf _at all._