Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 16:24:12 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Steve Marmer <ids@interlog.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cannot do sound and printing at same time

Steve Marmer:
 |Randall Hopper wrote:
 |
 |>Steve Marmer:
 |>|Running 2.2.2 right now yet for the longest time I have not been able
 |>|to build a kernel that will allow the use of sound as well as
 |>|printing.  It seems like it must be one or the other.  I have a SB AWE 32
 |>
 |> As others have suggested, you can flip your printer driver to polled
 |> mode (lptcontrol -p).  Another fix would be to move your SB AWE 32 to
 |> the standard IRQ for SB cards -- IRQ 5.  I have a SB 32 as well.
 |
 |Am I to understand, then, that polled mode means I can do both printing
 |and sound without troubles, without boot-time kernal adjustments, etc?

Right.  In polled mode, the lpt driver doesn't use an interrupt.  Flip the
lptcontrol -p in your /etc/rc.local.  To ensure that the lpt driver isn't
assigned an interrupt on boot-up, or that it'll share its interrupt with
the sound driver, I think you can do one of three things.  1) Build a
kernel with this in your kernel config:

     device       lpt0    at isa? port? tty
instead of this:
     device       lpt0    at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr

LINT seems to indicate that's a valid thing to do.  2) Or boot -c and
remove the IRQ assignment from the lpt driver (not too convenient since
you'll need to do this for each new kernel), or 3) declare your sb0 device
with the conflicts statement:

device sb0     at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 conflicts drq 1 vector sbintr

in your kernel config file.  This is supposed to let it share.  Seems like
I had that working on a PAS-16 years ago.

Then just use the parallel port driver in polled mode.

Randall Hopper