Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 12:53:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Chuck O'Donnell" <cao@bus.net>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.8S -> 3.0S: new upgrade procedure

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> Hi!
>
> #defind S -STABLE
>
> I am planning to upgrade my main host at this weekend.
>
> I would like to know, if anyone tried to upgrade
> 2.2.8S -> 3.0S with new Jordan's upgrade procedure
> (already in RELENG_3)?

I tried it. Two things that I had trouble with; (1) I was missing a
directory `/usr/local/lib/aout' and (2) during the install it failed
at "Installing new boot blocks", with error "disklabel: /dev/rda0: No
such file or directory". I wasn't able to recover from the last error.

I tried (cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV da0)... no good. I guess MAKEDEV has not
been updated at this point in the install? Or maybe I missed a manual
step somewhere. Don't know, I haven't had a chance to get back to it.

Chuck