Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:48:27 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Sten Spans <sten@blinkenlights.nl>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP [alpha]: New console initialization

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 02:02:15AM +0200, Sten Spans wrote:

> > The console initialization on alpha has been reworked to not require
> > the many alpha specific kluges in the various drivers (gfb, sio and
> > syscons). Consequently, one now needs the well-known hints that one
> > needs on other platforms for things to work. In particular, you might
> > want to add:
> > 	hint.sio.0.flags="0x10"
> > 	hint.sio.1.flags="0x80"
> >
> > Without these hints you won't have a serial console.
>
> Cool, nice to see that this problem area is getting better.
> Has this code been tested ? If so I'll try building a current
> kernel on my ds10.

I've been using this on my alpha for a while. I normally use a serial
console, but I've tested that syscons is as broken with this change
as it is without. What this boils down to is that the system console
works, but as soon as the TGA device is probed during bus enumeration
I get a panic. It's related to the chipset...