Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2013 21:52:05 -0500
From:      "W. D." <WD@US-Webmasters.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, phk@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why no "ls" on DVD or livefs.iso?

At 08:47 10/6/2013, Warren Block wrote:
>On Sun, 6 Oct 2013, W. D. wrote:
>
>> Booted with both.  Alt-F4 to get to command line.
>>
>> Very limited commands: "ls: not found".
>>
>> Why?  What good are these disks if they don't have
>> the most basic of commands?
>
>The "emergency holographic shell" was always very limited.  I suspect a=20
>path thing, with it looking for commands on the installed system.  Old=20
>bare-bones tricks like "echo *" help.
>
>> Trying to clone a hard disk that has an number
>> of bad sectors.  Trying to save most of my data.
>>
>> Want to use "recoverdisk", but can't get the
>> command line to work.
>
>Use mfsBSD: http://mfsbsd.vx.sk/

Thanks, Warren.  MFSBSD worked for me.

Had to use 8.X because 9.X hangs.  I think it has something
to do with my PS2 mouse and keyboard.  9.X still only seems
to work with USB peripherals--or is something else going on?

I was a bit skittish using "recoverdisk" because I couldn't
find any explicit notation about source and target.

    # clone a hard disk
     recoverdisk /dev/ad3 /dev/ad4

As it turns out, the first argument is the source and the
second is the target, as one might intuitively guess.  However,
I've been burned before by guesses, so I hope someone will
update the man pages to make this obvious.

Start Here to Find It Fast!=99 ->=
 http://www.US-Webmasters.com/best-start-page/
$9.99 Domain Names -> http://domains.us-webmasters.com/