Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 2015 10:07:36 -0400
From:      Ben Bailess <ben.bailess@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HTTPS on freebsd.org, git, reproducible builds

I have to echo this sentiment -- authentication is important, and so is
integrity. HTTPS would provide both -- to be sure you're talking to the
"real" FreeBSD and give you confidence that your page content has not been
altered in transit by a network adversary (e.g. if you are using Tor)*.

*I honestly don't see that being a realistic defense against NSA/GCHQ-level
attackers, though... the coercive power they have over CAs would probably
be the weak point there, in my opinion.

HTTPS isn't a magic bullet by any means (which should be obvious), but it's
also not worthless and would protect against at least some
less-than-TLA-level network adversaries.

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 9:30 AM, Walter Hop <freebsd@spam.lifeforms.nl>
wrote:

> >> Is there some reason "freebsd.org" and all it's
> >> subdomains don't immediately 302 over to
> >> https foreverafter?
> >
> > Is there a reason to encrypt something that is completely public?
> Perhaps to allow the visitor to conceal the fact that they are interested
> in FreeBSD? That won't work, since the IP address of the server can't be
> encrypted. I feel like I am missing something.
>
> Privacy is often important, but authentication (i.e. not having content
> tampered with) may be more important in many cases.
>
> The US and UK governments are owning sysadmins who browse non-HTTPS sites=
:

> http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/ghcq-targets-engineers-with-fak=
e-linkedin-pages-a-932821.html
> <
> http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/ghcq-targets-engineers-with-fak=
e-linkedin-pages-a-932821.html

> https://theintercept.com/2014/03/20/inside-nsa-secret-efforts-hunt-hack-s=
ystem-administrators/
> <
> https://theintercept.com/2014/03/20/inside-nsa-secret-efforts-hunt-hack-s=
ystem-administrators/

> The Chinese government hijacked non-HTTPS sessions to inject DDoS
> javascript:
>
> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/04/china-uses-unencrypted-websites-to-=
hijack-browsers-in-github-attack