Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 18:32:01 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@dk.tfs.com>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>, security@freebsd.org, "[Mario1-]" <mario1@primenet.com>, JbHunt <johnnyu@accessus.net>
Subject:   Re: security hole in FreeBSD

In message <Pine.BSF.3.95.970730082939.3844t-100000@mail.MCESTATE.COM>, Vincent
 Poy writes:
>On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Nate Williams wrote:
>
>=)> 	I know.  I mean Nate and Jordan has been in this thing for atleast
>=)> twice as long as I have.  I'm only 23 years old now.
>=)
>=)When I turned 23, I had been minix hacking for 2-3 years.  How old do
>=)you think Chris Demetriou (of NetBSD fame) is?  You've got lots of
>=)excuses, but no answers.
>
>	When you were 23 and when Chris were 23, you guys were in the
>field of hacking and stuff.  I was one who learned my way around computers
>without taking any classes or anything.  It's just these 2 years,
>everything seemed to need more priority than it used to because hackers
>are a greater risk now than they are before among other things.  I am in
>the field of AstroPhysics and haven't learned Unix from anyone but just
>myself.

I'm not even going to tell you what I did when I was 23, and the fact
that all I had was a high-school exam is merely incidental.

People seem to take the path of least resistance, and for some of us
that is "finding out" and for others like Vince that seems to be
"Whine and somebody will help you".

whois: [PHK]                | phk@tfs.com           TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Power and ignorance is a disgusting cocktail.