Date:      Mon, 30 May 2022 14:44:58 -0400
From:      Dennis Clarke <dclarke@blastwave.org>
To:        riscv@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is there no working clang in FreeBSD/RISC-V's ports?

.
> That’s just a freshports data gathering issue, it doesn’t know the
> riscv64 package sets exist so doesn’t report on them. I’ve filed
> https://github.com/FreshPorts/freshports/issues/364 for this.
>
>> Quote from https://docs.freebsd.org/en/articles/committers-guide/#archs
>>
>> 	• Tier 2 platforms should be self-hosting either via...
>>
>> doesn’t specifically that mean that the llvm-devel port should be available? Just asking …
>
> RISC-V is self-hosting via the in-tree toolchain, thus no external
> toolchain is required, and thus no official binary packages are
> required to be provided. Out of the box you can compile with Clang and
> link with LLD, no packages needed. You only need the packages if you
> need a different specific version or you need to use libLLVM/libClang’s
> APIs.
>
> Jess

Has something changed in the last three weeks? I see ver 13.0.0 here :

ison$ uname -apKU
FreeBSD ison 14.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT #2
main-n255202-0aef8628458-dirty: Sun May  8 20:33:55 UTC 2022
root@ison:/usr/obj/usr/src/riscv.riscv64/sys/GENERIC riscv riscv64
1400057 1400057
ison$
ison$ cc --version
FreeBSD clang version 13.0.0 (git@github.com:llvm/llvm-project.git
llvmorg-13.0.0-0-gd7b669b3a303)
Target: riscv64-unknown-freebsd14.0
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /usr/bin
ison$

Which may be a valid reason to fire off a buildworld etc but I see no
issues with whatever was clang a few weeks ago.

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC