Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 21:01:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        "Matt M." <matt@boda.virtualave.net>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lynx build issue

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Will Andrews wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 06:39:42AM -0700, Matt M. wrote:
> > Just wondering when this will be fixed, and what's causing it. This has been
> > an issue for a few days, even after cvsuping ports a few times.
> >
> > When i try to build, i get:
> >
> > ===>  lynx-2.8.2rel.1 is forbidden: Riddled with buffer overflows
> > exploitable by a malicious server to execute code as the local user..
>
> Obviously, not until the Lynx people clean up their act and get rid of the
> buffer overflows. This has been in the ports tree for several weeks, and
> the ports went into 4.0-RELEASE marked FORBIDDEN like this.
>
> I highly suggest using a different console browser, such as w3m.

Out of curiosity, why?  Has w3m been cleared of buffer overflows?

In fact, has *any* browser been so cleared of security problems?  Have you
looked at w3m lately?  It's got some very nice features, but as a general
purpose browser?  No ....

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.