Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 1997 18:04:14 -0700 (MST)
From:      Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        kory@avatar.com (Kory Hamzeh)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which PCI enet card

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm putting together a high end freebsd system. The MB is a AMI Merlin DP
> Pentium Pro 200MHZ PCI system. I wanted to use the 3COM 3c590 PCI Enet
> adaptor, but apparently, it is out of production and has been replaced
> with the 3c900??? Anyway, the company that sold me the PC stuck a 3c900
> in it and told me it has compatible with the 3c590. freebsd 2.1.5
> certainly doesn't think so since it cant even find it!!
>
> What other PCI Enet cards work well with the 2.1.5 RELEASE of freebsd? I
> need to get something working today!

Most PCI cards based on the DEC 21040 chip seem to work well with the
de driver.  Be careful of very new stock cards with 21043 chips, they
are probably *not* compatible with the de driver (yet).  I have a
couple of Dayna cards, both of which work well with 2.2-SNAP1014, even
on our crowded and often jammed test network here at Dayna.  ;^)