Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 21:36:14 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        dnu@info.com.ph
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: releng_4

--==_Exmh_1567570166P

If memory serves me right, dnu wrote:

> I was reading about cvsup in the handbook and I'm a bit confused.
> It said that releng_4 is the main stable branch while releng_4_6
> is for critical fixes.
>
> So, if I cvs releng_4, do I also need to cvs releng_4_6?

No.  You either grab one or the other.

> Or do
> the updates to releng_4_6 also get to releng_4?

Generally yes, although there may be cases where bugfixes may be applied
in different ways.  For example, in order to handle a security issue,
RELENG_4 might receive an updated version of a program, where RELENG_4_6
might just get enough of a patch to fix whatever the problem was.

> Hmm... Correct me if I'm wrong.  Releng_4_6 is for critical fixes
> to 4.6-release and whatever is updated there also gets to
> releng_4 - a.k.a. 4.6-stable - am I right?

Mostly right.  I usually think of it the other way around...RELENG_4 is
a development branch and any critical security bugfixes from that branch
will be applied to RELENG_4_6, or whatever the applicable security fix
branch is.

Note that the release notes are not updated on the security bugfix
branches (they remain the same as they were for the -RELEASE).  See src/
UPDATING on a security fix branch for a list of changes that have
been applied since the -RELEASE.

(I know this should be in the release notes somewhere...it's on my TODO
list.)

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1567570166P

--==_Exmh_1567570166P--