Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 1995 13:00:24 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, cvs-committers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Full FREEZE on ports tree

 * > It seems like some people just don't get it.  I'm hereby declaring a
 * > full code freeze of the ports tree, as well as bsd.port.mk.
 *
 * The first I can agree with the second I can not (at least not in -current).
 * The bsd.port.mk file that is important to you is the one in the RELENG
 * branch.  You _should_ be using a RELENG_2_1_0 system to build and test
 * all the ports on, thus what happens in -current should not effect your
 * work.
 *
 * If you are not using a RELENG_2_1_0 build system your makeing a grave
 * mistake IMHO.

Oh of course, I'm using the 2.1 branch bsd.port.mk to build the ports.
It doesn't really matter (at least now) what happens to the 2.2
branch.

The problem is, there is a person committing changes to the 2.2 branch
of bsd.port.mk to sync with his changes in ports.  So I'm (well
actually, David is) forced to pull in the changes into 2.1 so that the
ports tree will build.

Also, don't forget that we only have one ports tree, so an
incompatibility in bsd.port.mk will result in brokenness of the ports
tree in one of the branches.  That's why I've been refraining from
committing anything to bsd.port.mk that isn't a pure bug fix without
change of functionality.

It's fine if everybody can understand this and do only the right
things to bsd.port.mk, but these kinds of "half stop" doesn't seem to
have effect on Andrey, so I decided to call a "full stop".

Satoshi