Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2012 19:26:24 -0500
From:      Steve Bertrand <steve.bertrand@gmail.com>
To:        "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to prevent gam_server from running?

On 2012.02.15 19:19, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 18:23:21 -0500
> Steve Bertrand<steve.bertrand@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 2012.02.15 17:57, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
>>> Lately, I've been hovering hither and thither when it comes to which
>>> desktop environment I choose when logging in, but several of them
>>> seem to insist on starting gam_server, which is just a real CPU
>>> hog, and once this thing is started, there's no stopping it.
>>>
>>> I've looked and looked and still can't figure out how to disable
>>> it.  I can't even figure out where exactly it's being started
>>> from.  Whether it's GNOME or XFCE or what-have-you, at login, some
>>> add-on tool somewhere is launching this thing, and I just plain
>>> don't want it!  :-)
>>>
>>> Any clues, anyone?  I'm really worn out from trying to solve this
>>> one.
>>
>> Is there anything in /etc/rc.conf relating to this server?

> Well, naturally, that was the first place I checked, along with
> probing /usr/local/etc, but no, I don't see any signs of anything
> anywhere that could be causing this thing to run.  Nothing helpful
> in the package's plist, either.  Undoubtedly, one of its REQUIRED_BYs
> is responsible, but none of them are making it easy to track down.
> It's really quite maddening.
>
> This thing is a persistent little bugger, I tell ya.  I've tried
> manually killing it repeatedly, using various signals, and it just
> keeps resurrecting itself immediately, sometimes in even higher
> numbers, like some evil being in a horror movie.  Kill one, and two
> or more spring up in its place.  It's *evil*, I tell ya!  :-)
>
> Well, where there's a will, there's a way.  I'll get to the bottom of
> this eventually.  I would just uninstall it, but then it will most
> likely be automatically reinstalled, too, when I upgrade something that
> depends on it.  As Caiaphas sang in his menacing basso voice in "Jesus
> Christ Superstar", "We need a more permanent solution to our problem".
> :-)

lol :) I figured you've checked there, but one never knows. I've never
heard such of a rogue problem on FBSD before. Do you see anything odd if
you run lsof? Won't say what started it, but it may give hints.

Also, perhaps you could display to the list what you are starting
willingly to see if someone can identify a potential problem.

Steve