Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 12:58:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ray Black <allah@mercury.webserve.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NCR 53c710 Fast-SCSI-2 controller (was: Hardware Support)

On Sun, 24 May 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Sat, 23 May 1998 at 23:35:36 -0700, Doug White wrote:
> >
> > My guesses are as follows:
> >  . Those who are capable of programming for this card don't have a card
> >    handy to hack with.
> >  . Until recently Compaq products were lameducks because their Ethernet
> >    cards weren't supported either.  Now that there is a driver for their
> >    NICs it may spur someone to undertake a development effor.
>
> >> I'm far from a great programmer, but if someone would point me to
> >> info on how to write device drivers, I'd do what I could to make
> >> that sucker work.
>
> Talk to Stefan Eßer, who is responsible for the NCR driver.  He'll
> probably be interested if you can help with the testing.  I've copied
> him on this message.

I'd love to help w/ the testing. If, as mentioned as a possibility above,
Stefan doesn't have a card handy, I've got a 53c710 I'd be more than
willing to send to him. It is, of course, EISA, so having a system w/ that
bus would be a prerequisite.

Thank you all for the dialog on the subject. I've been floating through
mailing-list/usenet archives the past month trying to find references to
the card, and have been largely unable to find anything productive. This
has been a great boon to my dreams of making use of the machine.

Thanks again.

Ray Black, III